Thursday, April 06, 2006

 

Fantasy Baseball

The blog is called "Because I Can" for a reason.

I'm doing CBS Sportsline's Fantasy Baseball. Just for fun, I'll also do an all-Dodger team, which will have a new lineup thanks to Eric Gagne's new surgery. As far as I know, Friday is not the Canadian April Fools Day.

Anyway, the way it's set up, you get a roster of up to 24 players. You can draft up to 22 players, and then pick up 2 more off waivers. You get 22 Starters, strangely enough, with 9 pitchers, one of each of the infield positions, 2 catchers, 5 outfielders, and 2 non-pitcher "utility players," which is where you'd have to put David Ortiz. My opening bunch is as follows

Pitchers
Roy Halladay
Brad Penny
Ben Sheets
Jose Contreras
Felix Hernandez
Bobby Jenks
Tom "Flash" Gordon
Chris Reitsma
Mike Gonzalez

Outfield
Ichiro Suzuki
Ken Griffey, Jr
Jason Bay
Jay Gibbons
Milton Bradley

Infield
Troy Glaus - 3B
Bobby Crosby - SS
Jeff Kent - 2B
Richie Sexson - 1B

Catcher
Javy Lopez
Bengie Molina

Utility
Ryan Zimmerman - 3B
Jacque Jones - OF

Soriano went quickly, but he becomes a good player to have this season as you can put him in when you need a spare outfielder, and otherwise play him at second. As for my guys, Gibbons can handle outfield and also first. Zimmerman keeps me covered at third.

There are 10 teams per league. I get ranked in categories each week, and then I get 11-ranking, that is if I finish first in ERA, I get 10 points. The categories are

Pitching
ERA, K, WHIP, W, S

Offense
BA, RBI, H, HR, SB

Why no defense, I don't know. You could have a punishment score for errors, bonus points for outfield assists, fielding percentage, etc.

I've never done a fantasy league before actually. I'll see how this goes. I'm optimistic.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?