Monday, February 05, 2007

 

Hardly News, or Even Useful

In one of my many journeys in the land of Wikipedia, I stumbled across something. Rolling Stone came out with the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time in November 2003, and provided that nobody does anything great after that date, that's useful. Wikipedia says that it was made by votes from various Rock musicians and other industry guys, and being a Rolling Stone list, you would expect much more of a rock bias. But nonetheless, here's the list.

Here are the ones I own:
12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
17. Nevermind, Nirvana
26. The Joshua Tree, U2
61. Appetite for Destruction, Guns n' Roses
73. Back in Black, AC/DC
94. Bitches Brew, Miles Davis
467. Love and Theft, Bob Dylan

Granted I did skim the list, but I was still rather surprised that this is all I've got. I'm pretty sure I have more on the AFI 100 movies list (and I'd love to compare it to this years update).

Upon further review, I agree with the critics that there is quite a bias towards the 60s and 70s, and further that a "greatest albums of all time" should encompass music a bit more broadly. Frankly, I think this list looks completely different in 10 years, and 10 years after that, and is hardly a good "all-time" list.

But it's something to look at anyway.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?