Thursday, February 15, 2007

 

Tim Hardaway Cracks Me Up

Tim Hardaway, who obviously doesn't care what people think, decided to say this:
"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't
like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I
don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

He's retired, so he doesn't care about anything. What makes this particularly amusing is that on Pardon The Interruption on ESPN, Charles Barkley said that he has gay friends and played with a couple of gay guys. If you get more public outrage than Charles Barkley, then that's something to stare at.

But I have no idea why Hardaway said that, or for that matter felt that. I mean, that's pretty harsh to say you wouldn't want the guy as a teammate, just because he went 1 for 13 from behind the arc and never played for the Rockets after he was traded to them for Glen Rice. He made an apology, and for once someone actually cares that it's not a genuine apology because he didn't apologize for how he felt, just what he said.

Hope Hardaway didn't blow all his money, because he'll have a hard time getting endorsements now.

Labels: ,


Comments:
What Tim Hardaway did was wrong, but the severe punishments he received (including being fired from the CBA) was too harsh. Why can't everyone just forgive him? Will the drive-by mainstream media ever accept that some people have opinions that are offensive to others, or will they continue to resort to fascism (see "Macaca" incident)?
 
Hardaway was fired because he destroyed his own image. Nobody wants this, so it's no surprise. His firing (news to me, as I didn't think he was doing anything) wasn't a punishment for making a hateful remark, but for being stupid and tarnishing his image and the image of those associated with him.

Never ask "why can't everyone forgive" someone, because that's just asinine. Like most public figures who apologize, Hardaway did not apologize for his actions but for offending people. That's not reassuring to the people he offended at all.

A better question would be who the hell cares what Tim Hardaway thinks?
 
He didn't need to apologize period. I disagree with him but I really don't think it's that big deal.

Speaking of controversy, wait until you see what I got planned later this week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?